Monday, October 11, 2010

7 Steps to being a good parent...

I found this today on the internet and thought gosh so often we get busy with our lives or in my case busy with a certain little bird and can forget that the most important thing of all is being an awesome parent to the small people in our lives.

I have printed this out and stuck it on my fridge :)

What would you say to other parents is the most important thing to being a good parent?

Share your thoughts here.

Provide unconditional love and encouragement to your child
  • Saying "I love you," is important. But even more important is showing your child that you love them by giving your time and attention. Playing games, reading stories, and talking all show your love. Encouragement is also essential. Every child needs to feel like their parents are their best cheerleader. And with their parents help they can accomplish anything. I often tell my son you can do and be whatever you want and he believes me.
Make your kids a high priority
  • This doesn't mean that you don't take care of yourself and your marriage. But it does mean that your children should come before others. This may mean that you need to say �no� sometimes. I have a hard time saying "no" and I often have to remind myself that if I say "yes" I will be placing my children lower on my priority list.
Strengthen your team
  • Strengthening your team applies to parents. It means that parents agree beforehand on important issues like rules and discipline. They discuss together important decisions that need to be made concerning the children and family.
Discipline consistently
  • To cultivate this quality of being a good parent is one of the hardest things to do. At the end of a hard day it is so easy to give in to a child that is crying or whining, but that is not consistent. It does not teach them and only makes your job as a parent more difficult. Set limits and rules and always enforce them.
Teach responsibility
  • Give your children responsibilities. My son is required to make his own bed. He also empties the small garbage cans every week. All my children are responsible for helping clean up the house and clearing their dishes off of the table. Children need to understand that they are responsible for their own actions and the consequences that follow. I often tell my children "no one can make you mad, you choose how you react."

No comments:

Post a Comment